Georgia's Official Outdoors Explorer
It's funny how things work out - just as I was making plans to discover more of my home state, Explore Georgia named me the Official Outdoors Explorer of Georgia. What an honor to be working with Explore Georgia as I set out on adventures across Georgia's diverse landscapes. The Georgia Explorer program, launching later this month, includes several of Georgia's favorite travel experts.. I count one of the experts, Lesli Peterson, among my best friends.
There are three major adventures I'll be embarking on this year.
We'll be making camp, at least once a month, for the entire year. We came close in 2014, without even realizing it. The fact that Georgia has some amazing campgrounds really makes this easier. But, this isn't just about car camping. We'll explore the backcountry at campsites only accessible by hiking or paddling! Camping once a month will help us discover new places, learn more about our state and connect with nature as a family.
Muddy Spokes, Canyon Climbers and Park Paddlers
We're joining all three of the Georgia State Parks activity clubs. Each club will lead us to state parks where we complete activities. The activities include mountain biking, paddling kayaks or canoes, and climbing canyons all over the state. It's easy to join, just visit a participating park. When we've met the requirements for each, we receive commemorative t-shirts to celebrate our accomplishment. Learn more about the activity clubs on the Georgia State Parks website.
Georgia Master Naturalist
Georgia Master Naturalist is an environmental education program developed by the UGA Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources. Participants explore local habitats and ecosystems to gain a better understanding of natural environments in Georgia.
I am completing the course to earn my certification. This will really help me learn more about Georgia's outdoor spaces and enable me to share more of my passion with others through volunteer work.
As you can see, from our "Year in Photos," below, we're expanding on the things we learned on our travels in 2014. This year is about broadening horizons closer to home.
More from my site
- Sweetwater Creek, A river of rocks - October 19, 2016
- In Cook Den: Butterfly Garden with Boys - August 4, 2016
- In Cook Den: Let the sunshine in… - August 3, 2016
- In Cook Den: Eggplant Parmesan - August 3, 2016
- In Cook Den: Advanced Training for Environmental Educators - August 2, 2016
- Chattanooga Day Trips: The Adventure Begins - August 1, 2016
- Tour the Barrel Cabins of Unicoi State Park & Adventure Lodge - May 31, 2016
- Great Georgia State Parks Adventures for Kids to Parks Day - May 19, 2016
- Sweetwater in Springtime - April 18, 2016
- What if I am making the best of it…? - April 15, 2016