Round-trip, the Chesser Island Boardwalk is a 1.5-mile hike. I urge visitors to estimate the hike taking longer than usual. The swamp is mesmerizing and it's easy to get immersed in spotting wildlife and examining plants along the way.
We spotted Great White Egret, Cottonmouth snakes, several frogs and lizards, as well as bobcat scat and carnivorous plants along this boardwalk. There's a sheltered wildlife viewing area about halfway down the boardwalk. Bring your binoculars and magnifying glass to have better views of the wonders lining this trail.
The turning point is a four-story overlook tower offering majestic views of the largest blackwater swamp in North America.
Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge Trails
East Entrance - Cane Pole Trail
East Entrance - Canal Diggers Trail
East Entrance - Chesser Island Boardwalk
Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge Map
General Map - Downloadable map of Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge, includes hiking trails and water trails
Wilderness Canoe Brochure - Map | Text
Road Map - Downloadable map of Okefenokee Nat'l Wildlife Refuge roads.
More from my site
- Sweetwater Creek, A river of rocks - October 19, 2016
- In Cook Den: Butterfly Garden with Boys - August 4, 2016
- In Cook Den: Let the sunshine in… - August 3, 2016
- In Cook Den: Eggplant Parmesan - August 3, 2016
- In Cook Den: Advanced Training for Environmental Educators - August 2, 2016
- Chattanooga Day Trips: The Adventure Begins - August 1, 2016
- Tour the Barrel Cabins of Unicoi State Park & Adventure Lodge - May 31, 2016
- Great Georgia State Parks Adventures for Kids to Parks Day - May 19, 2016
- Sweetwater in Springtime - April 18, 2016
- What if I am making the best of it…? - April 15, 2016