It was a hot and sweaty day for a hike at Piedmont NWR. We were able to track a deer and spotted two of them, in addition to a myriad of lizards and birds. I misunderstood the map and headed down a short trail without our hydration pack. I usually carry the larger Camelbak, but I probably should have packed James' smaller Teton Sports Oasis pack.
Anyway, I left my pack in the car to do a one mile hike that turned out to be two miles and could have been better than four. Not a huge deal, but water and snacks help a lot when you're hiking with kids and it's almost 90 degrees in the humid south, even if it is just a couple miles.
It's a lesson learned time and again. I think I'm good to go. I'm feelin' good, strong, confident. I think I have everything I need to tackle life's challenges and one mile turns into two, two miles into four.. and before I know it, I'm five years older, sweating buckets, puffing up hills, and running on empty against the wind (Do you see what I did there? I'm sorry if you don't get it).
Of course, we made it the two miles without our precious water, it's not really that far. But, that pack is more than water and food for my crew. It's all my first aid supplies including medicines, my knife, my rain gear. It's everything I should have with me on any hike of any trail; not just for my own crew, but for anyone else I run into that left their pack behind. That's how this life goes. Be prepared.
Now go Enter to win your own Teton Hydration Pack (Giveaway until June 17, I think LOL)
More from my site
- Sweetwater Creek, A river of rocks - October 19, 2016
- In Cook Den: Butterfly Garden with Boys - August 4, 2016
- In Cook Den: Let the sunshine in… - August 3, 2016
- In Cook Den: Eggplant Parmesan - August 3, 2016
- In Cook Den: Advanced Training for Environmental Educators - August 2, 2016
- Chattanooga Day Trips: The Adventure Begins - August 1, 2016
- Tour the Barrel Cabins of Unicoi State Park & Adventure Lodge - May 31, 2016
- Great Georgia State Parks Adventures for Kids to Parks Day - May 19, 2016
- Sweetwater in Springtime - April 18, 2016
- What if I am making the best of it…? - April 15, 2016