Pigeon Hill Trail / Little Kennesaw Mountain Trail Hike
This out-and-back hike that combines a short portion of Pigeon Hill Trail with Little Kennesaw Mountain Trail is approximately 2-2.5 miles. Beginning on the Pigeon Hill Trail at Burnt Hickory Rd, the hike ascends to the Little Kennesaw Mountain Trail reaching the highest elevation of the lower peak at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.
Enchanting Hike in Metro Atlanta, Georgia
Little Kennesaw Mountain is an enchanting trail with many interesting features that fill the senses. In addition to historic Civil War earthworks, hikers enjoy spotting wildlife and exploring the unique rock formations. The trail leads hikers through shady rock gardens accentuated by elephant-sized boulders. We spotted countless deer, and a Cooper's Hawk on a hunt for "fast food."
The wooded, rocky landscape captures the imagination. Various lichen and moss lend a colorful wardrobe to the ancient gray boulders and large twisted oaks. Rocks and roots offer a maze-like playground for skinks and chipmunks. Pavement outcrops featuring folded gneiss give the trail a surreal warped appearance.
Hike with a View
The summit is marked by an information plaque and three replica civil war-era cannons indicating the historic battles that took place here. Just before reaching this summit, hikers will find a charming view from a picnic-perfect area to the left of the trail.
Directions and GPS Coordinates for the Pigeon Hill / Little Kennesaw Mountain Trail Hike
The parking lot for this hike is located at the intersection of Burnt Hickory Rd and Old Mountain Rd in Kennesaw (GPS Coordinates: 33.963547, -84.593780). At the south end of the parking lot, cross Burnt Hickory to start the hike on the Pigeon Hill Trail. Download trail maps for hikes in Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park before visiting!
While the view from Little Kennesaw is picturesque, the higher peak of Kennesaw Mountain has a panoramic overlook at the summit. Hikers can access the overlook by continuing on Little Kennesaw Mountain Trail or starting a 2-mile hike from the park's Visitor Center at the intersection of Stilesboro Rd and Old Hwy 41.
More from my site
- Sweetwater Creek, A river of rocks - October 19, 2016
- In Cook Den: Butterfly Garden with Boys - August 4, 2016
- In Cook Den: Let the sunshine in… - August 3, 2016
- In Cook Den: Eggplant Parmesan - August 3, 2016
- In Cook Den: Advanced Training for Environmental Educators - August 2, 2016
- Chattanooga Day Trips: The Adventure Begins - August 1, 2016
- Tour the Barrel Cabins of Unicoi State Park & Adventure Lodge - May 31, 2016
- Great Georgia State Parks Adventures for Kids to Parks Day - May 19, 2016
- Sweetwater in Springtime - April 18, 2016
- What if I am making the best of it…? - April 15, 2016