One of my favorite day trips from Atlanta, Chattanooga exceeds my expectations every time. A truly great escape from the hustle and bustle of the big city, the first thing to go is the traffic. Heading north on a glorious stretch of I-75 lined by rolling mountains, I can feel the stress melt away with the miles. I love the relaxed atmosphere, with affordable family fun and nearby outdoor adventures. These are major components in choosing to drive the extra miles for a membership at the Tennessee Aquarium over the bigger, closer Georgia Aquarium. A membership means I'll be frequenting this place for full day expeditions. I want less traffic, less crowds, and more nature. We purchased our membership this week and over the course of a year, we'll share our adventures exploring the mountain town's trails and streets. Follow HTWT on Facebook to see our latest Chattanooga Day Trips and continue reading below.
Snug as a bug in the mountains along the Tennessee River, a strong connection to nature embraces the scenic city. But, it hasn't always been this way. As recent as the 1960s, the deteriorating industrial town was pinned by a Federal Air Quality Report as, "the most polluted in the country." Shifting from smog-laden environmental disaster to revitalized community elevated Chattanooga to the New York Times', "Top 45 places to go," in the world.
Chattanooga is an absolute pleasure. Catering to families, romantics, and adventurers alike, the picturesque destination features a lively landscape brimming with family-friendly attractions, outdoor adventures, diverse eateries, and unique accommodations. A 13-mile paved riverwalk leads walkers and cyclists to historic sites, spraygrounds, parks, and attractions while a free electric shuttle helps visitors navigate the downtown scene. The scenic city's relaxed, down-to-earth atmosphere clinched my purchase of a Tennessee Aquarium membership. I want to revisit often and experience the best of Chattanooga. If you have recommendations where to eat, stay, and play - please leave a comment.
More from my site
- Sweetwater Creek, A river of rocks - October 19, 2016
- In Cook Den: Butterfly Garden with Boys - August 4, 2016
- In Cook Den: Let the sunshine in… - August 3, 2016
- In Cook Den: Eggplant Parmesan - August 3, 2016
- In Cook Den: Advanced Training for Environmental Educators - August 2, 2016
- Chattanooga Day Trips: The Adventure Begins - August 1, 2016
- Tour the Barrel Cabins of Unicoi State Park & Adventure Lodge - May 31, 2016
- Great Georgia State Parks Adventures for Kids to Parks Day - May 19, 2016
- Sweetwater in Springtime - April 18, 2016
- What if I am making the best of it…? - April 15, 2016